Through Jobs for Nature, over $20 million dollars of funding has come to Te Tai Tokerau to support a number of projects. The majority of these projects are hapū and iwi-led, aimed at restoring the ora and mauri of ngāhere and whenua. One of the main activities will be predator control.
Through the process of developing a portfolio of projects the Jobs for Nature Alliance (Papatūānuku Leadership Roopu) decided that Papatūānuku needed to be at the heart of what we do, with a legacy of enhanced wellbeing of te taiao mō te tangata. The goal with these projects is to see sustainable, long term outcomes for both.
Eradication of predators from Te Tai Tokerau is an opportunity to retain the progress made through Jobs for Nature funding and create jobs.
Predator free 2050 (PF2050) is an ambitious goal to rid Aotearoa of our worst predators: rats, stoats, weasels, ferrets, and possums.
Kōrero with some whānau, hapū and iwi in Te Tai Tokerau has indicated an interest in this kaupapa as long as it is approached in a way that supports local autonomy, is inclusive of whānau, marae and hapū and is developed around upholding the principles of te Tiriti mō te Whakaputanga. The first stage to support this kaupapa is building social license through communications and engagement.
Sharing the stories of kaimahi involved in restoring the whenua, ngāhere and the relationship of kaitiakitanga, whakapapa to te taiao is an opportunity to engage whānau in the PF2050 kaupapa within a broader, inclusive approach reflective of a Te Āo Māori worldview.
MEA have been invited to work collaboratively with the communication leads across all partner organisations to identify, develop, and share messages.
MEA also worked beside each partner to support creating their own narratives, identify what information they have currently and pull together their approach to sharing their work with their uri/community.
- General services - communication, interviews
- Strategy Services - develop a Communications and Engagement Strategy for Te Taitokerau
- Collaboration - work with communications leads across all partner organisations
- Communications and Advisory Support services
- Provision of Digital Marketing Services
- Social media and media engagement approach
- Provision of helpful resources, support and assets
- Offer support for training
- Provide advisory for video production
- Reporting - monthly reports, quarterly reports, and a final written report